Friday 19 October 2012

I am piecing by hand!!!

Taking the Beginner Hand Quilting with class with Jeannie at the store this season and here are the blocks we've learned. I never thought that I would piece by hand...ever! But its great fun and look at the blocks? Don't they look good? I am amazed at how simple the process is and Jeannie's so good with her instructions that it's really a breeze. I don't feel like I'm doing anything great... I just follow instructions!
Block 1 - 16 Patch
The first block is a good way to get started. We cut out our square template from a plastic template sheet. Then marked the squares on the fabrics using the templates and cut the squares out with scissors... yes... in the old fashioned way! I have to admit that I was so tempted to rotary cut... but then I told myself that this class was about learning the traditional way that I will. Jeannie does give us the option of rotary cutting though... so one of the ladies in the class is doing that. I have always believed that my scissor cutting skills sucked so I am proving myself wrong and working those shears! :)
Block 2 - Star
And we're on to triangles!
 
Block 3 - Tumbling Blocks
Tumbling Blocks have finally entered by repertoire! I have to piece them and applique them on to a background but I wanted to see what they would look like. Very happy with the effect.


Three blocks down and three to go. We have an applique block and a Dresden Plate in the mix which I am very happy about. I remember watching videos of how to make dresdens and thinking ... I don't know when I'm going to make those... the time has come!

Linking up to:


Sew Happy Geek
Plum and June

2 comments:

  1. When I started quilting hand piecing was "the" way to go and I still find myself drawn to it. There is alot more "fudge" room when hand piecing than there is with machine stitching (not to mention that it is much more portable!)

    Your blocks look wonderful --- love your fabric choices.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dropped by from P&J's Link Up and think your blocks look just great, particularly those tumbling blocks - great colours making the 3D effect really effective. Good to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete