Monday 30 July 2012

Grandmother's Flower Garden

I started making hexies about a month or so ago. You can see the post on that here.
I was urged to start because Judy offered me a free quilt if I would make a store sample of The Grandmother's Flower Quilt. I was hesitant at first because I haven't done much hand sewing in the past and was not sure how it would all turn out... especially if it was going to be a store sample!

Anyway... after a quick lesson I was hooked and I think my hand sewing is not so bad either. :)

We're making Grandmother's Flower Garden Kits in 1930's Reproduction Fabrics and Brights. And I'm doing the brights. They are the cutest kits. I almost want to buy them just so I can get my hexie papers and squares in a pretty package!

I'm thread basting but there's this neat new Bohin Glue Stick that I want to try out.



We're releasing two a week so there will be more of this. I'm thinking of going with a Kona White and doing hexagons all around for the background. What do you think?

Linking up to Fabric Tuesday on Quilt Story and W.i.P Wednesday.


Fresh Poppy Design 
 
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

8 comments:

  1. Your hexagons look absolutely perfect! Your sewing is fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank You Bethany. I had a good teacher. :)
      Carol

      Delete
  2. I think your fabrics will look fantastic against Kona white. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know... I tried it against the white and it didn't look too good... so... don't know... I tried it against the new Kona Citrus which was interesting! Let's see.

      Delete
  3. I made my first hexies this summer too and it is so much fun! I do have a gluestick (from Sewline) and it really speeds up the process. So I recommend trying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Marit. :) Yes the gluestick is definately something I should get.

      Delete
  4. Awesome hexies, but I think anything but white would make it a real feast.

    ReplyDelete